1) Job Announcement: CRC Field Organizer/Consumer Outreach Consultant
Project Description: This is a Field Organizer/Consumer Outreach contract position
based in the Los Angeles area. The Organizer will work in partnership with CRC staff,
members and allies to recruit and build our local Stop the Debt Trap LA campaign to
reform high-cost payday, car title and installment lending practices. The organizer will
mobilize CRC members, allies and other stakeholders to advocate for industry reforms
and consumer protections with local, state and federal level policy makers and through
the media. The organizer will also outreach to and recruit directly impacted consumers
to participate in the overall campaign.
The project will start May 15th and go through the end of October, at which point we will evaluate the feasibility of expanding the project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Work with CRC’s Director of Community Engagement to develop the leadership
of CRC members and grassroots consumers to participate in payday/ installment
lending reform advocacy around our Stop the Debt Trap LA Campaign.
2. Staff and continue to build a diverse campaign steering committee, comprised of
local community-based organizations, advocates, faith leaders, labor unions,
consumers, seniors and veterans groups and other stakeholders.
3. Provide staff support to the campaign steering committee and participants in
advocating for local, state and federal policies and regulations to restrict highcost
4. Conduct outreach and recruitment of diverse stakeholders to join the campaign,
provide resources, and opportunities for involvement.
5. Conduct outreach and recruitment of consumers to document their stories, file
CFPB complaints, provide information and referrals, and engage consumers in
6. Help coordinate advocacy and action plans among CRC staff and coalition
7. Develop flyers, literature, slogans and other campaign related materials.
8. Research government officials, district characteristics, elected officials’ interests
and key legislative issues and stances.
9. Assist with consumer spokesperson prep.
Strong commitment to social, racial and economic justice;
At least three years of experience in labor, community and or coalition
organizing, significant plus if organizing experience is connected to a policy
Ability to translate complex policy issues and motivate others to take action;
Ability to develop campaign materials (for outreach and educational purposes)
based on information gathered from multiple sources;
Ability to effectively collect, analyze, organize, distill, and present information;
Strong networking skills and a demonstrated ability to liaise and build
relationships with diverse stakeholder groups;
Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and meet multiple competing
Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills are essential;
Must have a driver’s license, insurance and reliable transportation;
Existing relationships with community organizations in Los Angeles preferred;
Bilingual capacity (English/ Spanish) is a plus;
Knowledge of predatory lending and consumer advocacy or other core areas of
CRC’s work a significant plus.
The Field Organizer will be based in Los Angeles.
$25.00-$30.00 dollars per hour, depending on experience. This is a contract
Monthly mileage reimbursement will be paid.
To apply please send a resume, cover letter, and include “Field Organizer position” in
the subject line to email@example.com. (No Calls Please)
CRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, women, people with disabilities,
and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.